When All Is Said And Done

It’s hard to describe what I’ve been feeling for the past ten days.

Ever since I inadvertently discovered that the mortgage company was up to no good, I think I’ve been in a state of shock. August 26th will be the seventh anniversary since we signed the papers and got the keys to this house, and it still seems rather surreal that by August 26th we could very well be packing to move out.

Each day is different. I wake up refreshed (amazingly), but within moments of waking up my head begins to feel like I am swimming in a fog as I realize I have not been dreaming. My wife and I have been making numerous phone calls to family members, attorneys, and real estate agents.

Several family members have offered assistance, for which I am genuinely grateful for. The two attorneys I spoke with think we’ll have a good case to get some of our money back, but they both doubt that anything will occur to help us stay in the house. We’ve spoken to a few real estate agents as we attempt to find another home, even a temporary one, so we don’t have to worry about where we will be going. We need that security, if nothing else, for our kids.

As my day progresses I begin to get a headache from the weight of everything we’re enduring in this fiasco.

From the end of February until this past week, I heard nothing from our mortgage company. No letters, no phone calls, nothing. After my accidental discovery of their plan to take our home, I have received six letters. The first one was a regular letter demanding over $163,000. The second one was a registered version of the same letter. Letters three through six were two regular and two certified copies of the exact same letter. That’s right. So far, since my discovery I have received SIX copies of the same letter from the mortgage company telling me they want the full amount of the mortgage.

I think they’ve made their position very clear.

As the sun sets each day my headaches subside, mostly due to the different medications I take to keep them at bay, and I seem to relax a bit. I think it has more to do with mental exhaustion more than anything, but at least I am still sleeping good at night.

Then again, why shouldn’t I be? It’s not like I work for a big box mortgage company that plans and plots to steal homes from innocent homeowners across our great nation. I wonder how many other people are losing their homes because the executives at their mortgage company would rather take advantage of government insurance and bailout options than maintain their investment in the American dream?

As far as our situation is concerned, they may knock us down, but our faith in God will keep us strong, and my family will rise above this and find ourselves on the winning end when all is said and done.

The Right To Collect More

Things are a bit hectic around here.

We finally heard from the mortgage company about re-instatement of our “non-existent” loan. We’ve contacted an attorney to aid us in this process, but it doesn’t look like anything is going to happen quick enough to keep us in the house. Evaluating and choosing an attorney for your needs and learning about your legal issues can be overwhelming, but Attorneys.com from LexisNexis has great resources to help you.

The letter from the attorney for the mortgage company states the amount required to re-instate the loan, but with a big disclaimer at the bottom that reads, “The above figures were provided by our client and are subject to final verification. Our client reserves the right to collect additional amounts necessary to complete the reinstatement.

The right to collect additional amounts necessary to complete the reinstatement? Excuse me? What do we do if we bust our butts to get the amount they say we need, only to find they want even more? No thanks.

We hear on the news everyday about people walking away from their homes. What about those who are being kicked to the curb because of paperwork glitches like this?

We’re taking a few days to weigh our options. The only thing we know for sure, is that we probably won’t be living here much longer.

— Posted with Stuffr! —

Downtime

After a very long day on the road, we finally made it home around 10:30 tonight.

No word yet about the “re-instatement fee” for our “non-existent loan”, but we did receive a letter informing us that they are indeed foreclosing. They toss an amount around in the letter that’s more than our original loan on the house, so I’m sure this is just their way of calling the note.

I’ll be posting photos from the birding trip on Monday, because I’m going to take tonight and tomorrow for some much needed downtime.

Still Waiting…

We waited patiently… All day… We received no word about the situation with our “non-existent” mortgage.

Honestly, I have a feeling they are scrambling to make their next move. If I hadn’t attempted to confirm receipt of my last payment, I still wouldn’t have a clue what was happening.

Maybe we’ll receive word tomorrow. Then again, we’re going birding again, so we may not know what they have to say until very late tomorrow night.

I hate waiting…

Just Waiting…

Today was nowhere near as crappy as yesterday, but we’re still waiting in limbo. I am supposed to hear from the attorneys office sometime tomorrow, but until then we’re just waiting.

We spent the day assessing our situation, discussing alternatives, and trying to comprehend how and why this is happening to us.

Of course, we have no answers. We’re just waiting…