We Have Keys!!!

What a fantastic day!

We completed the final steps of the process this morning and by 9:30 we had the keys to the house in hand. We spent a little bit of time sitting on the front porch of the new house reflecting on the fact that everything is possible when you put your faith in God. We never had any doubt that He would help guide us through this entire process. We prayed every day and night, we had friends praying (thanks!!), and our prayers were answered.

 

The photo above is a simple panorama of the backyard from the deck of the house. It’s not the best photo, but it shows you how gorgeous the backyard is.

After coming back to the old house, loading a few things in the truck, and dropping them off at the new house, we stopped by our church for the noon Mass, so we could say a special thanks to God for blessing us with this new home.

This afternoon I spent a few hours calling all the utility companies coordinating them to be turned on, and while I was on the phone the boys packed about a dozen more boxes, so we decided to load them up and take them over to the house.

We got there just before 5, and we spent the evening at the new house, unloading boxes, planning furniture placement (so I know where to put everything when we bring it into the house), and then attempting to order pizza. That’s when we hit our first glitch.

We live a few miles out of the delivery radius for Papa Johns, Dominos, and Pizza Hut. That’s right. NO PIZZA DELIVERY AT THE NEW HOUSE. That might have been a deal breaker, except I do have the Pizza Hut iPhone App, so I could order the pizza and then go pick it up. No biggie, since I needed a quick moving break anyway.

As we were relaxing tonight we were already discussing the house warming party. We plan on inviting some close friends and family and enjoying an afternoon and evening with some delicious food from Iron Horse BBQ. At least that’s the plan as of right now.

Now I’m off to collapse. I have a few more phone calls to make tomorrow, then I have to figure out how my “work day” is going to be handled during the move. Until tomorrow… Zzzzzzzz…

A Slight Delay…

We arrived at our meeting just before 11 this morning, to sign the papers, turn over a rather large check, and get the keys to our new home. It turns out, the seller hadn’t received some of the paperwork yet, so things were delayed 24 hours.

At first we were a little concerned, but then we realized it was an error on the part of the real estate agents, not the seller, so we were willing to wait another 24 hours. We came this far, the least we could do is wait it out overnight.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly tomorrow morning, and then we can schedule all the utilities and start coordinating the actual move. Maybe then my writing on everything political will resume its normal course.

One More Look…

After the seller accepted our offer on Friday evening, we were elated. We spent the weekend planning our move, trying to decide if we should rent a U-Haul truck, a PODS unit, or just truck it (literally) for a few days…

We expected to hear from the real estate agent first thing this morning, but things were delayed and met her out at the house for a “final” inspection.

I crawled under the house to check for any noticeable problems with the foundation, including cracks and mold. Everything checked out. It was all brand new. I used my ladder to get access to the attic crawl space above the garage, as well as the space above the rest of the house, and it all checked out too. In fact, everything about this house (which has been completely renovated) was in better condition than our current house was when we bought it seven years ago (and it was brand new).

We are scheduled to meet in the morning to sign all the papers and get the keys. We are extremely excited (and relieved). Thanks again for all of the prayers, there is no doubt that God took more than a few minutes to answer them.

23 Days Of Angst

The past 23 days, since I discovered the “ploy” being used by the mortgage company to rip our home out from under us, have been some of the most stressful days in my entire life.

The first couple days were filled with calls to the mortgage company “trying to work it out”. The next week was spent contacting attorneys in our area to see if we could stop the fiasco before it reached the point of no return. The mortgage company responded almost immediately and proved there would be no “working it out” in our future.

Eleven days into the ordeal, we started a serious search for a new home. It took a while to find a few places that were (a) large enough, (b) affordable enough, and (c) self-sustainable (from a farming sense).

The first place we found was a beautiful old home on 16 acres of land. It was on the market as part of an estate sale. The deal fell through because we only had agreement from 5 of the 7 siblings. We were sad when we lost that one, because we really, really, wanted it. It had been a family home for almost 100 years, and we we wanted to continue that tradition. Instead, greed has set in and that family will sit back and argue with each other until that beautiful home falls to the ground.

Our second choice was just around the corner from the first one, and it had 13 acres. The house was smaller but some remodel work had already been done. It had new electrical and plumbing through the entire house, but there was something “not right” with that place. Call it a feeling, call it a hunch, whatever you call it, the deal was off after we made a few calls and did some more research.

The third place we found was spectacular. It was at the high end of our budget on almost 6 acres. The previous owner (who has since sold to his company as part of a relocation package) showed us the entire property. We were stunned. We were in love. Then the company that now owns the property would not work with us, at all. They obviously didn’t want to sell the property, not to us anyway.

It was now the 22nd, and by this point we were getting desperate. We were hoping to find a place before the first of the month and it didn’t look like we were going to make our self-imposed deadline.

We found our fourth choice “out in the country”. Seven acres of the most beautiful land you have ever seen, with a 100 year old farmhouse that was riddled with termites and God knows what else. The ceiling sagged, the floors creaked, and we were desperately trying to convince ourselves that we could “fix that”.

We had almost resigned ourselves to make an offer on the “fixer upper” when we found a simple little house, just down the road from our church. Literally. The house is a half a mile from our church. It only has 2 acres of land, but we quickly decided that we could grow a self-sustainable garden, with chickens, on 2 acres. We called the real estate agent so we could look at the house. It is so nice. Plenty of room for everyone, with plenty of room for my chickens and artichokes. WooHoo!

So, after 23 days of intense emotions and stress, and 23 uncomfortable nights, waking up wondering where we were going to end up, we found the place we wanted to live. We submitted an offer through our agent, and around 6pm tonight we received word that the seller has accepted our offer. How cool is that?

 

With the stress of finding a place behind us, the focus now shifts on the remaining 40 days we have to move. Something tells me the packing part of this plan isn’t going to be anywhere as stressful as the finding a place to live part.