After double checking our list of properties yesterday morning, we put a call into the real estate agent. Four of the properties were very attractive, within our price range, and very suitable to our plans for a small sustainable family farm.
We waited several hours but the agent never called us back, so we drove out to look at a few of them by ourselves. When we arrived at our “favorite” choice, we called the listed agent (whose sign was in the front yard) and asked if they could show us the property.
We spent quite a bit of time with the agent, who filled us in on just about every piece of information we may have ever wanted to know about the house and the land.
Although the house needs quite a bit of TLC, the property could work out very well for us in the long term. We decided to sleep on it.
This morning, we spoke with our real estate agent. We asked her to show us another property, and then told her we would like to see that other one again.
We met her at the first property at 2:30 today. We were not ready for what awaited us. In fact, this is the first property that all of us have liked unanimously. We were given a guided tour of the property by the owner, and there is no doubt that this is the perfect property for us.
Every other property we have seen could have been “made perfect”, but this one would be perfect from day one.
We are meeting with the real estate agent in the morning, and we will be making a formal offer for the property.
Eighteen days after finding out our world was crashing down around us, it seems we may have found a refuge in the storm. Say those prayers, because this could really be the one.
Last night was a rough night. As I mentioned before we had serious reservations about our “second choice” but this morning we knew, for sure, it was the right decision.
I did a couple online inquiries on the property owners, and let’s just say it’s probably a very good thing that we walked away from that one.
I made a few phone calls this afternoon about some additional properties, and I ended up speaking with a real estate agent who is local to our area. She had several ideas about properties that might be available with the type of offer we are in a position to make.
We drove from Roopville to Rome looking at properties this afternoon, and when we returned, I had three emails from the agent waiting for me with listings for us to consider.
We’ll be calling her in the morning to line up four of them, and we are quite optimistic about our chances now.
Thanks for the prayers, as we have no doubt that God had heard them and is guiding us down the correct path.
This afternoon we took another look at our “second choice” property.
Soon after we found the first house, we happened across the second one, and we thought it would be an awesome “alternative” at the time.
We spoke to the owner’s father, who had performed most of the renovation work on the house, and after a long discussion at the property we decided to pursue a deal.
Things looked bright. The property is over 13 acres in size, the old farmhouse is quaint, but could make an attractive home with a little TLC. At first we felt “sold” on the idea, but then we received the lease agreement and the purchase option paperwork.
While the lease agreement seemed to be a standard run of the mill type lease agreement (probably downloaded from some place online), and it seemed to lack any of the provisions we had discussed with the owner previously.
Throughout this evening, I have had a very uneasy feeling about this property, and after discussing it with the wife, we have decided to pass on this one.
It doesn’t make sense to put a lot of money down on a place that we have no purchase guarantee down the road. There were no provisions for us to “get out” of the deal if we found something wrong with the house, and there were so many restrictions in the lease agreement that I felt strangled sitting here 35 miles away from the property.
We have no doubt that God has a plan for us, and we have placed our faith in God that the will lead us in the right direction. Preferably soon!
We heard from the family regarding the offer to lease/purchase their home, but only 5 of the 7 siblings agreed to the offer. Because they were not unanimous, they chose not to accept it. We are back to square one.
We’ll be looking at our second choice tomorrow afternoon, so keep saying those prayers.
It’s been a week since I had my eye appointment and six days since I started wearing bifocals. After the first three days which were filled with intense headaches, it seems the new glasses are actually doing better than my old ones. Three days headache free, it’s a start.
It’s going to take a while to get used to holding my head up rather than down to read something up close, but I am sure I will get used to it very soon.
We made an informal offer earlier this week and we are waiting, patiently, for an answer from the family about leasing the place. We should have good news by tomorrow night, so I am going to kick back tonight and watch some more News Radio on Netflix.
Today was an otherwise uneventful day. We are waiting to hear some news on a couple places to live, you know, because the mortgage company has decided they can make more money from the sale of our house on the courthouse steps than they can if I take the next couple decades paying for it.
Speaking of those who would rather kick my family to the curb than work with us to resolve this obvious paperwork error, I received another letter from the mortgage company yesterday. They are still “calling the note” and now it’s about $400+ dollars more than it was last week. It’s amazing how those artificial costs keep mounting day by day.
On a brighter note, I discovered Newsradio on Netflix Instant Play tonight, so I am settling in to watch the first 5 or 6 episodes tonight. What did we do when we couldn’t summon shows to watch on demand? Hopefully we haven’t been too spoiled by technology.
Oh that reminds me, I need to charge my iPhone so I don’t miss any messages tomorrow. 😉